Pages

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Red Rockin' Anniversary Weekend

On Monday May 27 Ricky and I celebrated our 7 year anniversary. For those of you doing the math in your head, yes I was very young. Just a baby in fact. Ricky likes to joke that he robbed my cradle just in time because if he didn't he'd be stuck with some crazy girl right now. Nice babe.


So for our anniversary we did something very "us." We drove over 10 hours to brave the crazy crowds at Moab Utah. That's right... we didn't want to spend the money on a nice hotel or resort, or even waste our long weekend sitting on the beach somewhere. Nope. instead we decided to camp in a sandy campground with no showers and one pit toilet in hot dry weather. Sounds romantic right? Turns out, watching the sunset over Delicate Arch, the sun rise over the Windows, and the quite moments alone at lunch with a view over the Klondike Bluffs were some of the most romantic I could imagine for any anniversary weekend.


I thought it kind of fitting that our anniversary fell on Memorial Day. I'm sure through the years there have been many sacrifices made by my sweet husband. He wouldn't say he's made any sacrifices at all and that's why I adore him. The poor guy puts up with a lot, what with all this biking and photography nonsense. I mean, vacations have become so much more interesting (aka crazy) since we got our camera and our bikes. This one was no exception. I'm pretty sure I didn't sleep more than 10 hours over the entire 4 days! We watched the sunrise and the sunset every day, which made for some crazy long days.

Luckily for us, the weather was PERFECT. I mean 80 degrees, cool breeze, partly cloudy perfect. Everything was green (that could be green anyway) and there were wildflowers everywhere. It was amazing.


I guess the only downer is that since it was a holiday weekend, it was super crowded. I would still do it again though. We mostly stuck to the "trails less traveled." We did arches on Friday before the bulk of the weekend crowd arrived then did other canyons and lesser known trails the other days.

We rode our bikes through some gorgeous canyons with steep slick cliffs and flaming red rocks. The views from Canyonlands were endless (even though that was a much tougher bike ride!).  Seeing everything from the saddle of a bike really helps you appreciate the details - how insanely tall the cliffs are, how many wildflowers are in bloom, and even all the types of wildlife. I'm pretty sure I almost ran over 3 snakes and 10 lizards :)


If you ever get the opportunity to go to Moab in the spring, you should jump on it. Next time I go, I have a whole list of photo locations I want to hit up and I'm bringing my mountain bike too! Slickrock here I come!

P.S. all these pics came from my iPhone! Crazy right? I mean, they aren't the most high-quality pics ever but not bad considering half of them I took while actually actively riding my bike. I wasn't about to carry that 10 pound monster around with my while climbing the crazy mountains in Canyonlands... that'll put some meat on your bones! I guess lesson learned is - just because I don't have my beautiful sexy camera, doesn't mean I shouldn't try to capture the beauty around me. These smart phones do a pretty decent job!

P.P.S. Man, I can't stop writing... any comments on the new logo? I designed it this weekend with the intent of using it on business documents (business cards, contracts, invoices, etc.). What do you think? Do you like it? can you tell what it's supposed to be or does it just look like a bunch of wiggly lines? Thanks friends :) Until next time!

alannarenephotography@gmail.com
facebook.com/alannarenephotography
Tweet @alannarenephoto
google+ alannarenephotography

No comments: