Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Respecting our Freedom

Tomorrow we celebrate the Fourth of July. On this day in 1776 the Declaration of Independence was approved by congress, declaring independence from Great Britain. Our founding fathers knew it was a day that would change the history of America. John Adams him self predicted it would be celebrated for generations, saying it should be "solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games sports,...bells, bonfires, and illuminations from one end of the continent to the other, from this time forward forever more."

Today we do just as Jon Adams predicted. We gather with family, eat (often BBQ, at least in my house!), play games, relax, go to parades, watch fireworks... it is a time to enjoy the friends and family closest to us, to relax, to enjoy a day off from work (unless you are a nurse, or cop, or fireman, or another hero who works the holidays).

I find myself this year pondering how many years in my life I have done all of the above, and never really thought about the price of the freedom that allows me to celebrate on this day. I have no immediate family currently serving our country. I know of people from our church or in our neighborhood, but that still seems relatively distant. I am embarrassed and disappointed in myself for not respecting my freedom as I should.

So many people have suffered and died for this country and for what America stands for. That doesn't mean I agree with everything our country does, or the choices of all the people. Sometimes I get frustrated with legislation (like a high speed train in California... really?). I think we all do. What I am saying is that we should all respect our freedom.

To me this means several things, but mostly it means we should live well, live honestly, live healthily and frugally, live genuinely, always trying to improve ourselves and in service to our fellow men. We should try every day to be good people - to our families, to others, to our country, and to ourselves. What better way to honor our freedom?

I hope you all really enjoy your holiday weekend, weather your working or playing and think on how everything we do is only possible because of the gift of freedom. I am grateful for work, for play, for classes, and chores because each of those things mean that I can do what I want with my life. I am, and forever will be, grateful for that. Happy Fourth of July from alannarene Photography!



May God Bless America.

No comments: