Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

I Cheated...

Well, I didn't post yesterday because I had my last EVER clinical day (WAHOO!) and was being evaluated and it was a long and scary day... but it's done! (And I passed with flying colors!) This means that all I have left to do before walking at graduation is the final draft of my thesis and my presentation of the thesis (terrifying...). Seems doable after all the other hoops they made me jump through to get here. I could be a show pony now!

Since it was my last day at clinical, the doctor I was with wanted to take me out for lunch. I got nervous because of my super strict detox routine. SO, savvy me thought I'd just make a careful suggestion to a place I know that had a salad (say Panera or something of the sort).

Well, before I could sneak in my suggestion the doctor said "I've got the perfect place to go to lunch today. You're going to love it."

Great.

How can I be rude and say "umm, I have a better idea because I am actually on a really strict diet right now and it's more important than letting you do something nice for me, so really you should just not try and be nice by offering to take me to lunch..." Probably wouldn't fly.

Despite the concerns, I figured pretty much every place serves salad and I can ask for the dressing on the side and just not use it.

Except Chinese.

Or Mexican.

Or Indian.

Or pretty much any fast food place. So I figured, unless she took me to a nice restaurant, I was in trouble. So we got in the car and drove. Every restaurant that was by us taunted me. Based on what I knew about her, I thought we'd be going to a generic sandwich cafe of sorts. Well, it wasn't. It was a place that was almost as far from my diet as possible...

Italian.

Yep. Pasta. Tomatoes. Cream. Pepperoni. Bread. OH the bread! It smelled amazing and looked so fluffy! And get this. They had NO salad! What? I know. Their pizzas came with a small salad. To top it off, the doctor recommended I try the pizza. Said it was delish.

I love pizza. HOW could I resist?

So I got the thin crust veggie packed pizza. Didn't have the courage to ask for no cheese (if you're gonna cheat, might as well get the cheese right?) I ate the salad and a just enough of the pizza to not be too rude. Can't offend a potential future reference!!

This dear preceptor of mine then proceeded to INSIST that I take home the leftovers AS WELL AS several of their freshly baked rolls. I put it in the fridge in her office with every intent of "forgetting it" when she oh so kindly handed it to me on the way out. What a saint.

I was so excited to be done and on my way out, that I didn't even throw it away in the trash can by the front door. If I were really thinking, I could hunt down a homeless guy on the street and give it to him. But I didn't. Instead, I updated my Facebook status and drove away singing loudly in the car SO excited to be done.

Then the traffic hit. *Sigh* Here's the real confession... I cheated TWICE! (Shameful face) I ate another slice of that amazing cold pizza in the car on the way home.

And Yes. It was good cold.

After giving myself a gentle slap on the wrist for having no self control, I decided to just get over it. Who cares? The point of this whole things is to not just clean out the system, but work on better portion control and also to try a bunch of new veggies that I've never tried. It makes us get creative with our cooking because we can't just relapse into the "I'm tired so I'm going to eat a slice of toast or make some spaghetti."

Even though I indulged in greasy, cheesy goodness, the food I've been eating today has not been boring, or bland or tasteless. I don't wish I were eating pizza right now instead (well... just kidding!) It just goes to show that everything can be delicious. Everything should be enjoyed, in moderation.

So, I cheated. And I'm over it.

And it was delicious :)

No comments: